breathing deep in my mother tongue

wonder what it’s like to be written on a body
they’re all marked up either way:
memories tattooed into the valleys that wrinkles make,
words scrawled across the knots in knuckles

wonder what it’s like to have been in that room
where your mamma held you
and you learned how to scream,
learned how to grab a person’s arm
when you wanted attention
and when that attention
became a friendship,
you still screamed to be heard

wonder what it’s like to walk down those streets,
hands in your pocket,
Singing a much different song than the one I sang
when I walked down my streets,
my hands swinging beside me.
we’re scrolls, because we keep unraveling –
there’s always more room to write.
Scratch your etchings on me
so they’ll become part of the décor
that people have to pull back the curtains to see.

I like to keep the curtains closed.

you wonder what it’s like to be written on a body?
it’s a little like
setting the table
for guests who never show up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

declaration of dreams

Thursday rain, coffee, and these four walls